Subscribe

Myth About Diabetes...

Diabetes is a complicated disease. Even you have it or even if you don't, there's a lot for you to learn, including separating fact from fiction.Here are some fiction or myth about diabetes.

Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: Diabetes is not caused by eating too much sugar. Rather diabetes is caused by a lack or complete absence of insulin, which is a hormone that helps blood sugar get into cells. When you eat, food is turned into a type of sugar, but it's not the same as the refined sugar you buy at the store. If you exercise and follow a healthy diet, you can eat sweets.


Myth: I'll know if I have diabetes because I'll feel sick.

Fact: One third of the 21 million people with diabetes don't know they have it. Uncontrolled diabetes damages blood vessels and other parts of your body. Even if you have been diagnosed with diabetes and feel OK, you still need to take extremely good care of your disease.


Myth: I have diabetes, but I don't have the serious kind.

Fact: Diabetes is always serious. Even if you don't have to inject insulin or take medications, your diabetes still has to be controlled.


Myth: I'll have to eat all those horrible diabetic foods.

Fact: You don't need special foods. All you need is a healthy diet that balances your carbs, proteins and fats. Just like anyone else, your diet should be low in fat, low in sodium and rich in whole grains, fruit and vegetables.


Myth: I can't exercise because it will just worsen my diabetes.

Fact: People with diabetes can and should exercise. Working out regularly means better control of your diabetes and helps your body to better use insulin.


Myth: I don't need to change my diabetes treatment program if my A1c count is lower than 8 percent.

Fact: The reason for any diabetes treatment plan is to get your numbers as close to normal as possible and to gain tight control of your diabetes. The closer your A1c is to normal range,the lower your chances for complications, such as nerve damage and eye disease.


Myth: I won't be able to eat starchy foods, like bread and potatoes.

Fact: High carbohydrate foods are your main source of energy. If you are a diabetic, talk to your dietitian to work out your daily carb need. Diabetics need from six to 11 servings of carb containing food.


Myth: I don't have a family history of diabetes, so I won't get it.

Fact: Some people are born with a greater chance of developing diabetes than others. However, plenty of people diagnosed with the disease don't have a family history of diabetes. Your weight and lifestyle can be factors in whether you develop diabetes.

0 comments: